What is Genetic Counseling?
Genetic counseling is a communication process which deals with the occurrence or risk of recurrence of a genetic disorder in a patient or family. Trained professionals will help the individual or family to:
- Understand the medical facts, diagnosis, course of the disorder and available management
- Understand how heredity contributes to the disorder and risk of recurrence
- Understand alternatives for dealing with risk of recurrence
- Choose an appropriate course of action based on the patient’s view of risk, family goals, and ethical and religious beliefs
- Develop resources and strategies to best cope with the situation
Who are Genetic Counselors?
Genetic counselors are health professionals with specialized graduate degrees and experience in the areas of medical genetics and counseling.